Jul 10, 2011

Children & Bank Accounts

Hello all!
I'm still here!
Just took an unexpected hiatus from blogging. Blogger has been a bit difficult and hasn't been allowing me to post.
Lots going on as always.
Happy to report though, that this past week we were able to get away with the girls and my parents. Thankful for moments with them away from all life's craziness. Thankful too for parents who understand and want us to have those moments as well.
2 weeks ago I spent a few days camping in upstate Indiana with several teen girls from the children's home. We canoed 15 miles, hiked about 5, enjoyed time around the campfire, and more importantly spent time getting to each other a little better. It never gets old watching these kids conquer challenges and enjoy their sweet successes. So grateful that I have been given the opportunity to be a part of a ministry that sees the importance and values each life created.
This was part of our camp village. Looks cozy, doesn't it?
Myself and a few other staff also improved our fire starting skills. Now I can say that I can build a cabin around a tepee to get the fire started and help it burn stronger. ( I am hoping at least one person reading knows what i am talking about!?!)
As I sit here and think about each of the girls that went camping and about many of the youth I have crossed paths with, I am reminded of how important the role of the church is in their young lives. Reminded of the duty we have as believers to the generations that come after us. Whether they are a part of our family or a child God has simply chosen for us to cross paths with.
From a parent's perspective I have always used the analogy of my children's lives being bank accounts. Each moment of truth in their lives is a deposit. A deposit into their character and into who they identify themselves to be. I believe there are also times of withdrawal. Times when other people or things chip away at their true identity in Christ and the character of which he has called them to have. We try to be purposeful in our speech and actions with our children. Attempting to make many deposits and few withdrawals. (key word *attempting*) Using daily activities and special moments to fill their accounts, knowing all the while that as they age more influences will be there and some will only make withdrawals. Praying for others that will continue to make deposits when they are out of our hands. Praying even more that they will have the desire to let God be the main provider for their accounts. That they will go to Him for daily and moment by moment deposits.

So what about those youth or children who don't have anyone minding their accounts. Whose adults have left them bankrupt without any truth built up. No one taking the time to make a deposit. My prayer is that our eyes are always open to the needs of those youth and children, as well as my own.
~ANDREA

No comments: