Apr 3, 2011

REVISED: Worship


Worship.

What comes to your mind when you hear that word?

For me it draws many images to my mind.

In Romans 6:13 it states, Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.

We are to yield our whole selves to God. Our bodies in their entirety. That means my heart, my mind, my hands, my feet, and everything in between and everything that each of these members of my body do. If my heart and my mind are focused on my creator and savior, it is easier for the other members to be in a place of active worship. I believe we can worship in many ways in our lives

One of them is the act of caring for others.

Loving others and helping to meet their needs is truly an act of worship for me.

In Matthew 25, Jesus tells the parable about the day when the Son of Man comes and He separates the sheep and the goats. The sheep on his right are able to inherit the kingdom of heaven. He says because what they have done for the least of these, they have done unto Him.

So, if how I treat and care for others is a representation to God of my love for him, then that in itself is an act of worship.

I want to live a life full of worship, I want to present my best to God. I state that and at times I fail miserably, but He knows my heart and my desires. Jesus knows what I allow to guide me.

A quick story of revelation in my life.


Several summers ago I worked in Nashville, TN with our youth group. During that week, one of the most pivotal moments in my walk with Christ occurred. We were working with Isaiah 58 ministries and serving lunch under an overpass. The ministry from what I can remember, was a bus that traveled around to different locations providing meals, clothing, and first aid.


We had set up several tables outside of the bus and served people as they came. We also sat down at the tables and talked and learned more about the individuals we were serving. I sat down at one point next to a man named Ralph. Ralph was a middle-aged gentleman. Very soft spoken with gray hair and a long shaggy gray beard. Ralph began to tell me a little bit about his life and how he had ended up on the streets. As we continued to talk, Ralph asked me why I was there. I told him I wanted to help remind others that Jesus loved them and so did we. Ralph began to get choked up. He said that he had been praying for people to help. He stated that he believed in God and was just down for a while. We talked a little while longer and then it was time to close up the bus and leave. Most of the patrons had left and I had asked our kids to head to the van. They got in the van and I walked around to get in as well. Then from out of nowhere, Ralph appeared again. He came up to the door and started to talk again. We were pushing time and needed to go. Ralph began to beg us to stay, he asked if we would just talk a little while longer. He tried to put his hand in the door to stop me from shutting it. I told him I would shut it and roll down the window and I did. I felt the push to be on schedule and I felt a little sense of fear. At that moment, I realized some of the youth were becoming a little anxious due to his behavior. I began to pray and then I heard a voice say to me "this is me, Andrea this is me. This is who I am" My heart sank. I knew in this instant this man was no different then me. This man was created in the same image of God, that I was. He was given a life and a purpose just as each of us were. Was I going to turn my back and walk away from someone created by my God? I began to feel myself start to crumble. I tried to listen to the best of my ability until he walked away. The tears flooded my face and began to pray again. I will never forget that moment.


What if we all took the time to look at others and ask God what He sees? I am sure He sees his image and their purpose, when sometimes all we see is rags and a hitch in our day. I also see an opportunity to worship our Creator.

I want to offer worship to my God with my whole self, not just parts, but the whole.


~ANDREA

No comments: